Monthly archives for September, 2013
TO: Owners and Residents of The Garrison Condominium Association
FROM: S.S. Maguire Management
RE: New Pet Policy for Pet Waste Management
Date: September 6, 2013
In our continuing efforts to improve property values and enhance the curb appeal of The Garrison Condominium property, the Board of Directors and Management has spent considerable time discussing the guidelines for pet ownership and the overwhelming violation of pet waste policies. All guidelines have been designed to help protect your investment, address resident concerns and improve the safety and quality of living for residents in our community.
As you may know, condominium rules and regulations require each pet owner to pick up their dog’s waste and use the pet area located near the front of the property. Despite continued reminders and the warning of fines for not picking up pet waste, residents are not following the rules we have in place. During recent walks through the property, unscooped dog waste was visible and consistent with complaints we have received at the management office. Unscooped waste is unsightly and a health hazard for residents/dogs that may come in contact with it. Overall, the mess left behind in unnecessary.
Therefore, the Board of Directors have approved the implementation of a DNA dog program that will be in effect immediately. The newly approved rules and regulations that are in place are as follows: Management will be working closely with a company called PETPrints USA (www.petprintsusa.com) to set up a database of dog DNA samples – this will require residents to set up an appointment at one of the following mandatory pet days to have your dog’s DNA saliva sampled:
Monday, October 14, 2013 – between the hours of 9:00am – 12:00pm
Saturday October 19, 2013 – between the hours of 9:00am – 12:00pm
A sign-up sheet will be posted at the mail house beginning Monday, September 16th through Monday, October 7th to allow you ample time to place your name in the respective slot. Appointments are available every 10 minutes for each dog. If you have multiple dogs you will need to set up multiple appointments. The place where these test swabs will be taken will be at the tennis court area (rain or shine) and will require every occupant of a unit that owns a dog at The Garrison to have their dog tested. This only pertains to dogs as cats are not included in this program.
TO PREPARE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Keep food away from your pet for at least one hour prior to your appointment.
If you have multiple dogs, they must be separated for more than one hour before testing to avoid cross contamination of the DNA. This means you will need to make one appointment per pet.
Payment is expected at the time of your appointment in the amount of $59.95 per dog, made payable to The Garrison Condominium Association. Checks are the only accepted means of payment and must be presented at the time of the appointment. If payment is not made, fines will be implemented as noted below.
The process is then very simple. Bring your dog to the tennis court area where you will swab your pet with the provided cheek swabs. PETPrints USA will submit the DNA sample and will register your dog(s) with the DNA World Pet Registry.
Once this policy is in place, any pet waste found on The Garrison property will be collected and analyzed against the DNA samples within The Garrison property database. PETPrints USA (working with Bio Pet Vet Lab in Knoxville, TN) will notify management of the offending violator.
If a resident violates the new pet policy and/or does not set up an appointment to have their pet tested on either assigned dates, the following fines will be incurred:
• If you do not set up an appointment on either dates (i.e. no-show), you will be fined $100. If you do not have your dog(s) tested after the first thirty (30) days from the last scheduled appointment, you will be fined $200. After each thirty (30) days you do not have your dog tested, you will be fined an additional $300 for each 30 days thereafter.
• If a residents dog waste is identified by the lab as a violation for the first violation, the resident will be responsible for not only the lab fee of $50.00 but will be assessed an additional fine of $100 for the first offense.
• If a second violation occurs, the resident will be responsible for the lab fee of $50 but will also be assessed an additional $200 for the second offense.
• If a third violation occurs, the residents will be responsible for the lab fee of $50 but will also be assessed an additional $300 for the third offense.
• If a fourth violation occurs, not only will the resident be responsible for the lab fee of $50, but a lien will be placed on your unit plus another $300 fine.
Management understands the likelihood that a small number of pet owners are to blame for the current situation, however, this new policy will help identify those residents and curb the violations.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and for helping us keep The Garrison a beautiful and clean community for our residents.